For a detailed list of BioGaia’s products in your country please follow this link to our products.
No, the bacteria are in a dormant state and become activated and fully metabolically active when they come in contact with the saliva. This happens quickly, by the time they reach the stomach, they can start to colonize.
BioGaia probiotic products could be useful in combination with for example antibiotics as they contribute to keeping the balance in the gut microbiota. These products are considered to be food and are actually comparable to yoghurt when it comes to safety.
The conditions under which Lactobacillus reuteri is taken are not critical. Hypothetically, the elevated pH shortly after the intake of food might have a positive impact on the survival of Lactobacillus reuteri, but it is more important that Lactobacillus reuteri is taken on a regular daily basis and at a time of the day that is suitable for the consumer.
Yes, since the intestinal levels are depleted within about a week after discontinuing use. The resident microbiota of an individual is relatively fixed and thereby highly resistant to the establishment of “newcomers”. Even an indigenous bacterium like Lactobacillus reuteri should be taken on a regular basis, since most people of modern society does not get colonized by Lactobacillus reuteri during infancy. By taking BioGaia probiotics regularly you maintain the total daily supply of lactobacilli.
The recommended dose of a probiotic does not depend on bodyweight.
BioGaia’s clinical studies show efficacy in both children and adults with the same dose. Possible arguments for that could be:
- Probiotics are living organisms that makes use of the space available.
- The larger digestive track in adults simply offers more nutrients and more room for the bacteria to colonize and grow.
- It is not like a pharmaceutical where the distribution of the chemical substance depends on the body size or volume of blood since the substance cannot reproduce itself.
It is hard to give a more precise answer as each human and the gut microbiota is unique. Please contact a health care professional for advice.
- No, based on the results of clinical studies, the dose level of 100 million CFU/day has been chosen as a safe and efficient dose for Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis. The corresponding dose for Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis and Gastrus is 200 million CFU/day.
- Lactobacillus reuteri has proven to possess all the necessary qualities regarding efficacy and product shelf-life, without being combined with any other probiotic species.
- Lactobacillus reuteri is one of very few probiotic species whose natural habitat is the digestive tract of humans and it is therefore especially well adapted to thrive in this kind of environment. Most other probiotic strains are only temporary or transient inhabitants of the gastrointestinal tract, derived from the intake of food. Generally Lactobacillus reuteri is among the first bacterial species to become naturally established in the gastrointestinal tract of the newborn. However, in modern society only very few individuals are exposed to sufficient numbers to get colonised.
- Lactobacillus reuteri is one of the most scientifically well-documented probiotics with regard to both efficacy and safety.
- Lactobacillus reuteri produces the antimicrobial substance reuterin, which inhibits the growth of several pathogenic microorganisms. At the same time, Lactobacillus reuteri supports the populations of other bacteria, which are part of the normal intestinal microbiota.
Probiotic baby and child care:
- BioGaia Protectis drops
- BioGaia Protectis drops D3
- BioGaia Protectis ORS (oral rehydration solution)
- BioGaia Protectis tabs
- BioGaia Protectis tabs D3
- L. reuteri Protectis culture is also used in infant formula and in capsules
Probiotic gut health (adults):
- BioGaia Protectis
- BioGaia Protectis D3
- BioGaia Life Top Straw
Probiotic GI health (adults):
- BioGaia Gastrus
Probiotic oral health (adults):
- BioGaia Prodentis lozenges
- BioGaia Prodentis drops
For more information please follow the link to our Products.