• The drops can be administered by using a spoon.
• Put 5 drops on a (soft) plastic spoon and turn the spoon over in the mouth and sort of “dry” it off on the tongue of the baby.
• They can also be mixed with cold or lukewarm food. Avoid hot food, since L. reuteri is sensitive to high temperatures.
• Always shake the bottle well before usage.
• The drops can be administered by using a spoon.
Yes the drops can be mixed with breast milk and/or formula. The only thing to consider when adding the drops to liquids is the temperature. Do not add to liquids warmer than 37°C/99°F. If adding to liquids make sure to consume within the same day.
For a detailed list of BioGaia’s products in your country please follow this link to our products.
BioGaia Protectis tablets and BioGaia Gastrus are free from soy. The probiotic culture, which is used in the tablets, is fermented either on a skim milk or a barley based medium. Analytical data reveals lactose and gluten in the culture. However, in the finished product neither milk protein nor lactose are detectable, and the gluten level is below EU limit value for Gluten free products according to Regulation (EC) No. 828/2014 (<20 mg/kg). Labelling may vary from country to country, due to local regulation.
BioGaia Protectis drops are soy and dairy free. A barley source is used as a fermentation nutrient for the probiotic culture used in the drops. However, analytical data from a certified laboratory has not revealed gluten in the drops. Labelling may vary from country to country, due to local regulation.
Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis is a combination of two strains of Lactobacillus reuteri and is used in BioGaia’s oral health products lozenges and drops. It contains the two strains, Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938 and Lactobacillus reuteri ATCC PTA 5289.
Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis is a strain of the species Lactobacillus reuteri that has been tested in more than 120 clinical trials (in humans). It is used in products such as drops and tablets. Its scientific designation is Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938.
No, the bacteria are in a dormant state (freeze-dried) and become activated / fully metabolically active when they come in contact with the saliva. This happens very quickly, by the time they reach the stomach, they can attach and start colony growth.
No, these products are considered to be food and are comparable to yoghurt when it comes to safety. On the contrary, BioGaia probiotic products could be useful in combination with for example antibiotics as they contribute to keeping the balance in the gut flora.
The recommended daily dose of Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis is 200 million CFU, or 2 x 10^8 CFU. You get this dose by consuming 1 BioGaia Prodentis lozenge or 5 drops of BioGaia Prodentis drops.
The conditions under which Lactobacillus reuteri is taken are not critical. Hypothetically, the elevated pH shortly after the intake of food might have a positive impact on the survival of Lactobacillus reuteri, but it is more important that Lactobacillus reuteri is taken on a regular daily basis and at a time of the day that is suitable for the consumer.
Yes, since the intestinal levels are depleted within about a week after discontinuing use. The resident microbiota of an individual is relatively fixed and thereby highly resistant to the establishment of “newcomers”. Even an indigenous bacterium like Lactobacillus reuteri should be taken on a regular basis, since most people of modern society does not get colonized by Lactobacillus reuteri during infancy. By taking BioGaia probiotics regularly you maintain the total daily supply of lactobacilli.
No, Lactobacillus reuteri is a living bacterium that grows in the digestive tract. The larger the tract, the more it grows to effectively colonize. It is not like a pharmaceutical where the distribution of the chemical substance depends on the body size since the substance cannot reproduce itself.
It is hard to give a more precise answer as each human and the gut flora is unique. Please contact a health care professional for advice.
- No, based on the results of clinical studies, the dose level of 100 million CFU/day has been chosen as a safe and efficient dose for Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis. The corresponding dose for Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis is 200 million CFU/day.
- Lactobacillus reuteri has proven to possess all the necessary qualities regarding efficacy and product shelf-life, without being combined with any other probiotic species.
The recommended daily dose of Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis is 100 million CFU (Colony Forming Units), or 10^8 CFU. You get this dose by consuming 1 BioGaia Protectis tablet, 1 BioGaia Protectis straw or 5 drops of BioGaia Protectis drops.
- Lactobacillus reuteri is one of very few probiotic species whose natural habitat is the digestive tract of humans and it is therefore especially well adapted to thrive in this kind of environment. Most other probiotic strains are only temporary or transient inhabitants of the gastrointestinal tract, derived from the intake of food. Generally Lactobacillus reuteri is among the first bacterial species to become naturally established in the gastrointestinal tract of the newborn. However, in modern society only very few individuals are exposed to sufficient numbers to get colonised.
- Lactobacillus reuteri is one of the most scientifically well-documented probiotics with regard to both efficacy and safety.
- Lactobacillus reuteri produces the antimicrobial substance reuterin, which inhibits the growth of several pathogenic microorganisms. At the same time, Lactobacillus reuteri supports the populations of other bacteria, which are part of the normal intestinal microbiota.
- BioGaia is a guarantee of quality probiotic products formulated and packaged to ensure convenient administration and a stable shelf life of live bacteria cells for many months, also at ambient temperature.
Probiotic baby and child care:
- BioGaia Protectis drops
- BioGaia Protectis drops D3
- BioGaia Protectis ORS (oral rehydration solution)
- BioGaia Protectis tabs
- BioGaia Protectis tabs D3
- L. reuteri Protectis culture is also used in infant formula and in capsules
Probiotic gut health (adults):
- BioGaia Protectis
- BioGaia Protectis D3
- BioGaia Life Top Straw
Probiotic GI health (adults):
- BioGaia Gastrus
Probiotic oral health (adults):
- BioGaia Prodentis lozenges
- BioGaia Prodentis drops