Yes, BioGaia Protectis drops (with or without Vitamin D) are safe from day of birth. The recommended dosage is always 5 drops, regardless of age.
BiGaia Protectis tabs
Probiotic baby and child care
Probiotic chewable tablets. Strawberry flavored. BioGaia Protectis tabs is a food supplement containing the patented lactic acid bacterium Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis®/™ (L. reuteri DSM 17938) that helps the good microorganisms restore a natural balance in the gut. Because L. reuteri Protectis naturally colonizes humans it has a strong adaptation to persist and interact with humans. L. reuteri Protectis has been tested in more than 130 clinical trials and proven effective and safe for children and adults.
Storage: Store in a dry place, not above room temperature (max 25 °C/77 °F). Keep out of reach of children
Bulking agent (isomalt), sweetener (xylitol), L. reuteri DSM 17938, palm oil, strawberry flavoring and flavor enhancer (citric acid). One tablet consists of a minimum of 100 million live L. reuteri Protectis. Net weight per tablet, 450 mg. Excessive consumption may have a laxative effect due to the content of sweeteners in the product.
1–2 chewable tablets per day. Use regularly for good gut health or when temporary stomach dis comfort occurs. Recommended daily dose should not be exceeded. This product should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet.
BioGaia products are free from allergens like milk, gluten, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy.
• The drops can be administered by using a spoon.
• Put 5 drops on a (soft) plastic spoon and turn the spoon over in the mouth and sort of “dry” it off on the tongue of the baby.
• They can also be mixed with cold or lukewarm food. Avoid hot food, since L. reuteri is sensitive to high temperatures.
• Always shake the bottle well before usage.
Yes the drops can be mixed with breast milk and/or formula. The only thing to consider when adding the drops to liquids is the temperature. Do not add to liquids warmer than 37°C/99°F. If adding to liquids make sure to consume within the same day.
For a detailed list of BioGaia’s products in your country please follow this link to our products.
Biogaia Protectis drops can be used by patients suffering from milk protein allergy and / or are sensitive to lactose / gluten
- A probiotic bacteria can be grown on different types of media
- The L. reuteri Protectis culture used in BioGaia Protectis drops are grown on a barley based media, therefore, the drops do not contain lactose or milk protein
- After production the bacteria are diluted in the product. Analytical data reveals gluten in the probiotic culture, however, in the finished product the gluten level is below EU limit value for gluten-free products.
Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis is a strain of the species Lactobacillus reuteri that has been tested in more than 137 clinical trials in humans. It is used in products such as drops and tablets. Its scientific designation is Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938.
No, the bacteria are in a dormant state and become activated and fully metabolically active when they come in contact with the saliva. This happens quickly, by the time they reach the stomach, they can start to colonize.
BioGaia probiotic products could be useful in combination with for example antibiotics as they contribute to keeping the balance in the gut microbiota. These products are considered to be food and are actually comparable to yoghurt when it comes to safety.
The conditions under which Lactobacillus reuteri is taken are not critical. Hypothetically, the elevated pH shortly after the intake of food might have a positive impact on the survival of Lactobacillus reuteri, but it is more important that Lactobacillus reuteri is taken on a regular daily basis and at a time of the day that is suitable for the consumer.